The summer is over and winter coming, so it’s the right time to start preparing your skin for the colder time. There is no need to buy any special products for getting your skin ready for harsh winter weather – just revise your cupboard, pantry, and fridge. You will be surprised how many things you already have at home that can be used as beauty products.
For me, homemade beauty products are more effective that store-bought creams, serum, lotion, etc. Homemade products nourish your skin better, don’t ruin your skin’s balance and contain no preservatives or other chemicals. Natural cosmetics have been used for thousands of years, meaning that DIY beauty products can be trusted and there is no need to buy store-bought products to have a healthy skin.
Selecting the ingredients
Every ingredient we use when preparing a facial mask, has it’s certain properties, so think about the results you would like to get, before mixing those ingredients.
- Plain yogurt helps to steer away wrinkles and reduce existing ones. Yogurt is perfect for dry and normal skin. It also lightens your skin and helps to reduce blemishes.
- Ground oatmeal gives great results when used for excoriating. It calms skin and is perfect for dry and sensitive skin.
- Honey soothes, calms and moisturizes skin, it also acts as an anti-aging agent, leaving your skin soft and silky.
- Cucumber lightens, soothes, exfoliates and softens your skin. It also repairs damage caused by environmental toxins.
- Lemon juice is a superfood for your skin. It exfoliates, brightens, moisturizes and lightens your skin. It fights wrinkles, tones oily skin, diminishes scars and heals acne.
- Banana works as an anti-aging agent. It soothes, moisturizes.
DIY facial mask recipes
- Honey + olive oil + egg yolk
Mix a tablespoon full of honey, tablespoon of olive oil and one egg yolk. Apply it to your skin and allow it to try for 20 min. Rinse it off with warm water and then with cold one.
- Banana + cottage cheese + whipping cream
Mix ½ of the banana, a tablespoon full of cottage cheese and a tablespoon full of cream. Apply to your skin and let it work for 20 min, then rinse the mix off.
- Lemon + flour
Mix 4 teaspoons of flour and the same amount of plain yogurt with a teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix the ingredients to form a paste and apply it to your skin. Let it stand for 15 minutes and rinse the paste off.
- Oatmeal + honey
Mix a teaspoon of ground oatmeal with a ½ teaspoon of lemon juice and a tablespoon of honey. Rub it on your skin, leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
- Cucumber + yogurt
Skin ½ of a cucumber, cut it into pieces and add a tablespoon of plain yogurt. Process the mix in a blender. Apply it on your skin, let the mask dry for 20 minutes and then rinse it.
Remember that your skin needs to be cleansed, exfoliated, moisturized and nourished to be healthy. No cream or facial mask makes wonders if you apply it to the unexfoliated skin.