The best thing about Halloween is the delicious sweets that come with it! This is one of my personal favorites – the creepy, crawly, delicious spider cake pops. They are sure to be a hit in any Halloween party or among your kids and family. Cake pops are easy to make – don’t be afraid to give them a go and see how the cake pop obsession will take over your life, too.
Enjoy biting into these delicious spider treats this Halloween – we sure did!
What you need:
For the chocolate pops (yields 20)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup boiling water
- ¼ cup prepared chocolate frosting
- ½lb black candy melts or melted chocolate
For the spiders:
- 20 cake pop sticks
- A bag of candy eyeballs (enough for 20 spiders)
- ½ cup black sugar sparkles
- Licorice laces
- Piece of Styrofoam
Instructions for the chocolate cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Coat a baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a mixer, add the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Add eggs, milk and oil, and continue beating at medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Using a spatula, fold in boiling water and pour batter into your pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until baked through.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for several hours.
Instructions for the chocolate cake balls:
- Cut the cake into big pieces.
- Over a bowl, rub them together until the entire cake is broken into small crumbs.
- Add your frosting in and mix until the cake is moist and can hold shapes.
- Roll the mixture into balls and transfer them to a wax paper covered baking sheet.
- Place in the freezer for 15 minutes – no longer! Then place into the refrigerator and let them stay chilled there for about an hour to an hour and a half.
Instructions for the spider (Making the spiders is the fun part!)
- Melt some black candy melts or some chocolate.
- Grab a cake pop stick, dip one side of it in the melted chocolate, and insert into a cake pop.
- Carefully dip each cake pop in the melted chocolate to cover it completely. Make sure the chocolate touches the stick. When it dries, it will be more stable.
- Gently tap off the excess melted chocolate.
- Stick the candy eyes on the melted chocolate (make sure the chocolate is not too runny. If it is wait for it to harden a tiny bit). Then, cover the cake pop with the black sparkling sugar or sprinkles.
- Place the candy pop on Styrofoam so it dries.
- Once the cake pops are completely dry, use a tooth pick to poke 4 holes on either side of the cake pop.
- Cut your licorice laces down to the desired size and insert them into the cake pop so they look like spider legs. Before doing so, I like to bend them a little so they have a nice shape.
You can see part of the cake-pop making process in this video from Bakerella– the queen of cake pops!
Are you a cake pop lover? Will you be eating delicious, creepy cake pops this Halloween? Let us know below!