I remember that since I was a little girl, I loved to go berry picking. We spent hours and hours in the woods picking (and eating) wild strawberries, raspberries, whortleberries, and lingonberries. And afterward, we made some fresh jam, or used those berries in cakes and pies – oh, so delicious!
Here on our island, there are no places I know of, to go berry picking and it makes me very sad. So a week ago we had a family picnic. On our way to the picnic site, my husband had a great surprise waiting for me. He took me to pick blackberries!
There were several recipes I was thinking of making. We only had around 500 grams of blackberries, so I chose to make an apple and blackberry crumble first.
So here comes the recipe for a yummy apple and blackberry crumble!
Apple and Blackberry Crumble
- heavy-bottomed pot
- small bowl
- ovenproof dish
For the filling:
- 5 apples
- 150 g blackberries
- 6 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the topping:
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 100 g flour
- 50 g chilled and cubed butter
- 4 tbsp oats or muesli
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- Wash and peel the apples, cut them into cubes
- Mix apples, blackberries, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla extract in a heavy-bottomed pot
- Let it cook for 5 min
- Then remove from the heat and set aside
For the topping:
- Mix flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl
- Rub butter cubes into the flour and sugar mix until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
- Add the granola/oats to the mixture and combine
- Spoon the fruit mixture into the ovenproof dish
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture on top
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the topping is golden and the fruit mixture bubbling
- Serve slightly cooled with ice cream or custard.
What kind of fruit or berries do you prefer for making a crumble or crisp?